CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Gardening: Aphid Attack!

Imagine my horror and disgust when I went outside to see if my strawberries were ripening. Eeeekkkk!! What the heck?? What are those creepy green turds and why are they taking up real estate on my strawberries? It was enough to give me the heebie jeebies. Ewww.....
I'm guessing they're aphids. I've never had a problem with them before. I swear they arrived overnight because I've never seen them before today. There were also some whiteflies on my strawberries.

With the power of Google, I quickly looked for safe and effective, yet non-toxic methods for getting rid of these suckers. The ones that I found were to shoot them off with a stream of water. Ok, but then what, they're still there and they'll attack another plant. Another method was spray them with soapy/insecticide water. I didn't have that. Oh wait, ladybugs.

Ladybugs are good predators to have in your yard. They feed on aphids and other soft-bodied buggers that are bad. I haven't noticed very many ladybugs in my yard. Oh what the heck...I'll go with the ladybugs. I bought this tub of ladybugs for $9.99. You may think I'm crazy for spending $10 on ladybugs but it was a steal. It says they're about 15,000 of them.
Can you see them all waiting to get out?
So I set them out in different places in the yard. I made sure to concentrate them on my poor strawberry planter. Some ladybugs were smarter than others. Some marched right by the target. DOH! Stupid ladybugs!

But others made my heart sing. Get them!


This picture give me sweet satisfaction. He's captured his victim. I think I'm way too easily amused but this ranks up there with pouring salt on slugs. Bwahahaha!!

Does anyone else have ideas on how to keep the aphids at bay?

2 comments:

scrapper al said...

I just use the spray method, but if the infestation is really bad (aphids seem to love my string beans), I use the squish method. Gross, but you know the squished ones are never coming back.

Here's a tip for the ladybugs...when you distribute the ladybugs, place one of those picnic cover thingies over the plan. You know, those net thingies that you put over plates to keep flies out? That keeps the ladybugs in place till they've done their job.

~Holly~ said...

That's a great idea on the picnic covers! Too bad my infestation was on my topsy turvy. How do you corral ladybugs for that? LOL!