CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Farmer's Market: Hood Strawberries, Peonies, Asparagus, Rhubarb & Bay Laurel Plant

It was my first Farmer's Market of the season! I usually go to the Beaverton Farmer's Market just for convenience. I usually see a lot of people I know there. I had one (and just one) mission today. Get some Hood Strawberries!!

I was there within 30 minutes of opening. This is serious business you know. Last week my friend said they were there and they ran out of strawberries. WHAT??!! I couldn't let those yummy strawberries slip through my fingers!

I picked up a flat of Hood Strawberries. The line was long and the stand was busy! If you've never heard me go on and on and on about how delicious these guys are, consider yourself lucky. I will talk your ear off about them. They have a high sugar content so they are delicious fresh. They make wonderful strawberry shortcake. Almost no sugar is needed because they're so sweet. They also make excellent jamming berries. They freeze okay but not as well as other varieties because they are sugary and soft. I freeze them anyway. This flat was from Unger Farms and cost $25. Well worth the price if you ask me!
The only other thing I needed from the market was some rhubarb. I've never had rhubarb before a co-worker brought in pie her dad had made. It was strawberry-rhubarb. Okay, you got my attention. Yummo! Rhubarb has a great tang that contrasts well with the sweetness of strawberries. I was going to fix me some strawberry-rhubarb crisp.

There was only 1 stand that had rhubarb. I didn't know how much I needed so I bought a few stalks. I figured I could freeze what I don't use. I also saw these yummy looking Petite Gourmet Asparagus from Washington state. The asparagus was 3 bundles for $9. I think I'm going to pickle some. I *heart* pickled asparagus!
As I wandered, I also found a stand selling Bay Laurel plants. I had seen these in a seed catalog and thought it would be a great thing to order next year (I was too late for this year). Lucky me! I bought this one for $5. Bay leaves as so expensive and I use them frequently. I figured my $5 investment would pay for itself. You can pot these and take them inside during the winter and they'll do fine (they can be an evergreen).
Lastly, I couldn't help myself. I had to indulge. I told you that I love peonies right? These red ones get me all the time. I love how pretty they look! These were $2 per stem.

1 comments:

Thomas said...

We made homemade ice cream today from strawberries we picked at a farm earlier this week. These look mighty tasty.

Unfortunately, most of our farmer's markets don't start until sometime in July. Very late if you ask me.