CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, May 29, 2010

What's Cooking?: Tabbouleh

I have to preface this recipe by saying that I'm not a fan of raw onions (so I usually leave them out). I also don't like too much parsley. Although most Middle-Eastern cooks make their tabbouleh with flat-leaf parsley, I like the more mild taste of the curly-leaf parsley. I'm a big fan of lemon and mint so I usually increase these. I've adjusted this recipe to my taste. Feel free to do the same with yours! I love how pretty and vibrant this side dish is. This ended up being the perfect accompaniment for my delicious Copper River Salmon!


Tabbouleh
Adapted from www.foodnetwork.com (by Kathleen Daelemans)

Ingredients:
1/2 c. medium grain bulgar
1 and 1/4 c. water
1 and 1/2 c. loosely packed, roughly chopped curly-leaf parsley
4 Roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 c. loosely packed, roughly chopped mint leaves

Dressing:
juice from 1 medium lemon
2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch salt
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil

1) Bring 1 and 1/4 c. water to a boil in a small saucepan (make sure it has a lid). When the water comes to a boil, add bulgar, stir and cover. Turn off heat and let pot stand for about 25 minutes.
2) When bulgar is done cooking. Pour into a fine strainer to drain off excess liquid.
3) Prepare dressing in a small non-reactive bowl. Whisk together lemon juice, garlic, salt and olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.

4) In a large bowl, toss together parsley, tomatoes & mint. Add cooked bulgar. Pour dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
5) Cover and place in the refrigerator to soak up flavor. Toss just prior to serving.

0 comments: