CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 14, 2010

What's Cooking?: Pesto Crusted Salmon

As I was transplanting this year's crop of basil into their temporary homes, I remembered last year's basil explosion. My basil had gone wild last year. I had harvested the plants and made a big batch of yummy pesto. I still had some frozen in my freezer.


I had got some previously frozen Alaskan sockeye salmon from Fred Meyer. It was only $5.99 a pound during their Founders Day sale! I thought it was a great deal (in fact I may go back to get more). I was still deciding how to prepare the salmon when inspiration struck. What about a pesto crusted salmon?

I've never actually had a pesto crusted salmon before but it sounded good. I totally ad-libbed this recipe, using things I had at home. It turned out really good. The pesto crust was delicious! I used the leftover pesto sauce for some pasta.

Pesto Crusted Salmon

1 lb. salmon fillet
1 lemon, juiced
salt and pepper to taste
fresh dill, chopped
olive oil
pre-made pesto sauce
breadcrumbs

1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Drizzle with some olive oil.

2) Lay salmon on the baking sheet. Drizzle salmon with a little bit of olive oil. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon on the salmon. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the dill. Coat top of the salmon with about 1/4" thick layer of pesto. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
3) Cook for about 20-30 minutes (depending on salmon thickness). Remove from the oven and serve.

0 comments: