CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 2, 2010

What's Cooking?: Halibut in Lemon Sauce

I sliced up my halibut from the Whole Food whole halibut sale this weekend. I halved the order with some friends and ended up with 4 pounds of beautiful halibut for myself. I cut up the fillets into 4-6 oz. pieces. I froze them into serving sizes.

I saved some halibut for dinner this weekend. I wanted to try a new halibut recipe but couldn't decide which one. I finally decided on this one. The original recipe calls for halibut cheeks and grills the fish. I used my halibut fillets and baked it in the oven and adjusted some of the ingredients. It turned out fabulous! I served it on some fettuccine for an amazing dinner.


Halibut in Lemon Sauce
Adapted from www.foodnetwork.com (courtesy of Peggy Fralick & Ginger Petry)

2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 sweet white onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
1 tsp. salt
2 lemons, zested
juice from 1 lemon
1/2 tsp. chopped dill
1/2 c. white wine (recipe called for white zinfandel; I used a sweet white blend)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. capers
1 lb. halibut filets (cut into 6 oz. pieces)

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a saute pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and garlic and saute until translucent.
3) Add the salt, lemon zest, lemon juice, dill and wine. Reduce sauce by 1/3rd.
4) Once sauce reduces, add olive oil and capers and stir. Remove from heat.
5) In a large foil square, place a spoonful of sauce. Add 1 piece of fish, cover with more sauce and wrap tightly. Repeat with the remaining fish pieces. Place packets on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Cook for 25-30 minutes.
6) Remove from the oven and serve over pasta with sauce drippings.

0 comments: