CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Gardening: Warm Weather Seedlings & Recycled Bottle Greenhouses

My warm weather seedlings did not grow very will. I grew some Oregon Spring Tomatoes, Roma Tomatoes, Millionaire Eggplant, Tiger Eggplant, Shishito Peppers & Red Peppers from seed. I think next year I'll have to start earlier and I'll invest in grow lights. I don't think they got enough sunlight near the window this year. They look a bit "leggy". I even tried transplanting them to slightly bigger pots to give them more elbow room and eliminated their competition by trimming so that only one plant per pot survived. Believe me, it was heart wrenching trying to decide who stays and who goes. It's like a momma choosing a favorite. Who said gardening is for sissies?

Here's what they look like this weekend. They actually look like they've made some progress with the good weather we had and my transplanting. I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll be okay by next month and be able to produce some fruit. Don't laugh, I know they look pathetic!



Since my cherry tomato and heirloom tomato starters have all been thriving with the Walls of Water, I decided these little guys could uses their own helping hand. Gotta love recycling! I got some recycled Dasani water bottles and cut the bottoms off of them. If you use this method, the Dasani Plant-made water bottles are the way to go. Just cut them with a razor, the bottles are made of recycled material and cut like paper. No kidding! The soda bottles I used were a pain and very hard to cut.

Needless to say, I've been chugging water like a fish to get more bottles. One could say that I'm well hydrated at the moment.

I set them over the plants to keep them warm and moisturized. So far it's been working pretty good. I hope to have good news come next month!

Anyone else have suggestions for me? I've even tried threat tactics. I've threatened that if they don't grow, I'm going to the nursery and bringing back starter plants!

1 comments:

scrapper al said...

I stick with the threat tactics. It definitely worked with my roses, lol.