CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Gardening: Square Foot Garden Update

I wish I had better news to report but it looks like it's more of the same gloom and doom weather for the Pacific NW. It's been pouring here and looks like we're not getting a pass anytime soon. So much for getting a head start on vegetable gardening. It seems like all my crop may drown! How I wish for sunshine! Someone tell Mother Nature that it's almost June. I think she didn't get the memo!
from www.kgw.com

My cukes are still droopy. Two of the Boston Pickling Cucumber plants are standing today. I hope it means they still have some fight left in them. *sigh* Poor plants! They're really taking a beating outside with the downpour.
Luckily I had covered my square foot garden project with row covers. Originally, I had covered it for other reasons....namely that pesky moth that seemed to be leaving eggs on my kale. I had placed the row cover to keep it out of my kale. I was glad I had done it. It was serving as excellent protection from the elements.

I uncovered it today to sneak a peek. Looks like there's a spinach plant peeking out on the left. The one on the right may have met it's afterlife.

My baby bok choy seem to be doing okay.
The kale plants are doing well and thriving. These are Lacinto Kale. I love how it's turning the pretty blue color.

The Arugula are also doing well under the covers.

Some carrots are also poking up.

My surprise yellow iris has 2 blooms on it today. I just keeping looking for positives here!

Be sure to view other garden goings-ons with Jami at An Oregon Cottage:

6 comments:

Ott, A. said...

Love all the detail you give about which variety of veggies you have planted in your garden. I'm so glad you stopped by blog so I could follow you. I love seeing how other gardeners are doing.

Jenny said...

My fall garden fell victim to too much rain. We had so much the roots just rotted away. Smart to use the row covers. I am going to have to invest in some for the fall/winter around here. Good luck!

zentmrs said...

We haven't had a lot of rain in So Cal, but we have had an unseasonably cool spring. None of my pplants are growing as expected. Hopefully Mother Nature will get herself straight and get summer going!

Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

Hi Holly, everything looks like it is coming along! Beautiful sunset tonight... proved the sun is still up there somewhere:) Hopefully we'll start seeing a lot more of it. I am sure your plants will take off once it gets a little warmer... good thinking on the row covers.

thanks for your comments on myeverydaygraces! Looking forward to watching your garden grow.

ps. we were in Hawaii in December... my youngest son has cried for missing it. We all loved it. (Maui)

Jami said...

You might have to try again with the cukes, but they'll like it better when it warms up...hopefully soon. I'm not sure how much more I can take. ;-) (like what am I gonna do? :-)

Thomas said...

Things never go 100% according to plant. But most of your seedlings look really good!

Did you sow your cukes outside or transplant them out? My seedlings tend to suffer the most when I don't properly harden them off before setting them out.