CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 24, 2010

Gardening: Mass Casualties!!!

This nasty end of May weather sucks! I'm so sad. We had a horrible weekend (weather wise). It was storming and pouring down rain. I checked on my seedlings today and was devastated. We've got mass casualties to report! Cucumber down, cucumber down. Even one of my patty pan squashes bit the dust. *sniff sniff*
The body count ended up being 3 of 4 Boston Pickling Cucumber plants, 1 of 2 Patty Pan Squash plants, 2 of 3 Lemon Cucumber Plants and the Oregon Spring Tomato that I chose as the sacrificial lamb. It's lifeless body just flopped over. I have more of those that I've been nursing in the hopes they'd get a little bigger. They're so sad looking!

This is the other sad looking Roma tomato. I'm hoping he did a little better with my improv greenhouse AND a wall of water to protect him.
My cherry tomato leaves took a hit too. I think this is likely weather related. I hope they are able to bounce back!


One piece of good news in the garden. My surprise plant, the yellow iris bloomed. So pretty!


1 comments:

Kate and Crew said...

Hi! Thanks so much for participating in Garden Blogger's Death Day!!

I have never been able to grow cucumbers, until this year. No clue what the difference was... I will say that all my previous cucumbers fell victim to cutworms.

And your squash plant just keeling over like that so suddenly? I'd say a massive heart attack! I wish I had some grand advice or theories, but I don't. That is definitely bizarre!