CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Gardening: First Fruits of Labor for the Season!

Despite the continued rain in Oregon, some of my plants seem to be taking it in stride. Take for instance the peas. The Snow Peas (Oregon Sugar Pod II) are out climbing all the other pea varieties. Today I was very excited to spot the first pea of the season. Ain't he cute?

Right behind him are a handful of other pretty white pea flowers waiting to be magically transformed into peas!

No flowers yet to be had on the shelling or snap peas yet but I have high hopes for them both!

The radishes are getting closer to harvest. They've been teasing me for weeks now. I really want to harvest them and have them on a salad. But nah, I'll wait a little bit more. Patience really is a virtue! These are Easter Egg II Radishes. I love the pretty colors! How fun!
Here's a row of radishes alongside slower growing carrots. I took advantage of the break in the rain to plant another batch of radish (this time Watermelon Radish) and Carrots (Parisian Market and Little Finger).

I'm super super excited about this snapshot. My first tomato of the season!! It's from my cherry tomato plant. I'm so excited because both of the cherry tomatoes are flowering now. It makes my mouth water to think about delicious cherry tomatoes. Most of these never make it inside the house. I have them for snack fresh from the vine. Mmmm.....I can't wait!

I also have flowers forming on both the Brandywine and Cherokee Purple heirloom tomato plants. I think we're finally clearing 50 degrees at night (FINALLY!!) so I took down the walls of water. These flowers will soon need the bees to find them. I just thought I'd make it a little easier for the bees.
OMG! It's almost strawberry season. I've been eyeing these guys for the longest time. I'm drooling just thinking about how good these will taste. That's right, they WILL taste good. I'm trying to psych myself up.
There's more fruit ripening every day. So far the Topsy Turvy Strawberry planter is kicking butt! Remember how I was talking about patience? Well I have to admit I couldn't help myself and pluck one of the strawberries above for a taste. They were sweet. I can only imagine how yummy they'll be fully grown and ripe!


I'm so excited to finally see fruits of my labor. It's hard not to be too disheartened when these babies show up! Most of my cucumbers are dead so I re-seeded them outside this weekend. I hope they pop up in time for the harvest!

Here's one of nature's creatures hanging out on my plum tree. I hope he's doing his part to keep the bad bugs at bay! Cute little sucker isn't he?


Have a great Memorial Day Weekend everyone!!

0 comments: